This recipe won the Gold medal in the Irish-style Red Ale category at the 2001 Great American Beer Festival. Recipe is for 5 US gallons (19L).
6.6 lbs Coopers Light Malt Extract Syrup
1 lb Coopers Light Dry Malt Extract
7 ozs 60L Crystal Malt
1 1/2 ozs Chocolate Malt
3 1/2 ozs Weyermann® Melanoidin malt
1 1/2 ozs Amber Malt
1/2 oz Weyermann® Carafa® Malt
1 oz Perle Pellet Hops (20 min)
1/4 oz Hallertau Pellet Hops (20 min)
1 oz Liberty Pellet Hops (10 min)
1 oz Liberty Pellet Hops (steep)
3/4 Hallertau Pellet Hops (steep)
Coopers Carbonation Drops (priming)
1. Steep Crystal, Chocolate, Melanoidin, Amber & Carafa® malts in 150-180F brewing water (amount of water determined by the size of your pot) for 15-20 minutes. Then remove.
2. Mix in Coopers Light Malt Extract, Coopers Light DME, Perle and 1st Hallertau hops. Bring to very light boil. Total boil time: 20 minutes.
3. Add 1st Liberty hop addition with 10 minutes remaining in boil. Add last addition of Liberty and Hallertau hops at end of boil.
4. Cool wort in pot to room temperature. Transfer into fermenter. Aerate well, then top up to 5 gallons if necessary.
5. Pitch yeast when temperature is <80F.