Description: Originally made for Super Bowl '98. Gone by half-time. An easy-drinking, deceivingly strong Robust Porter.
6 lbs Coopers Light unhopped Malt Extract
1 lb Extra-Dark Dry Malt Extract
1 lb Chocolate Malt
1 lb 60L Crystal Malt
1 lb Briess Special Roast Malt
1 lb Invert Sugar
1 tsp Calcium Chloride
2 oz Willamette Hops (30 min)
1 oz Liberty Hops (20 min)
1 oz Liberty Hops (steep at end of boil)
1 vial White Labs WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast
1. Steep Crystal, Chocolate and Special Roast malts in 150-180F breing water (amount of water determined by size of your pot) for 15-20 minutes. Then remove.
2. Mix in Coopers Light Malt Extract, dry malt, calcium chloride and Wilamette hops. Bring to very light boil. Total boil time: 30 minutes.
3. Add the rest of hops based on above hop schedule.
4. Add invert sugar with 5 minutes remaining in boil.
5. Cool wort in pot, then transfer to fermenter, top up if necessary to 5 gallons.
6. Pitch yeast when temperature is <80F.