The Secrets to Hazy IPA: Tips from The Pitch
Category : Technical
Date : January 25, 2021
Author : White Labs Education Staff
Tips From The Pitch - Hazy IPA
What is the Hazy IPA?
Hazy IPA’s are known for their intense fruit flavors and aromas, a soft body, and smooth mouthfeel, and often opaque with substantial haze. Less perceived bitterness than traditional IPAs but always massively hop forward. This emphasis on late hopping, especially dry hopping, with hops with tropical fruit qualities lends the specific ‘juicy’ character for which this style is known.
Spilling the SecretsWhat are the secrets that make hazy IPA a great beer style? What strains should be used and why?
Join Joe Kurowski, Head of Brewer Operations as he breaks down the fundamentals of the style
- Hop aroma and fruit-like esters
- The role of attenuation in creating balance and body
- Haze stability and process
- Selecting the right strain
- Dry-hopping during active fermentation
- WLP008 East Coast Ale Yeast
- WLP066 London Fog Ale Yeast
- WLP067 Coastal Haze Ale Yeast
- WLP518 Opshaug Kveik Ale Yeast
- WLP519 Stranda Kveik Ale Yeast
- WLP520 Sigmund Kveik Ale Yeast
- WLP521 Hornindal Kveik Ale Yeast
- WLP644 Saccharomyces brux-like Trois