Brew a Non-Alcoholic Session IPA with WLP618 NA All Day
Category : Recipes
Date : February 8, 2023
Author : White Labs
With the growth of popularity of Non-Alcoholic/Low-Alchol beers, here are some helpful tips and a quick recipe to brew with our new core strain, WLP618 NA All Day, now available year round!
Brew with WLP618 NA All Day Today!
Keep Wort Fermentability Low
- Use a smaller grain bill to decrease original gravity to 5-7 Plato
- Keep mash temperature above 72C, which helps reduce fermentable sugars available to the yeast
Adjust pH to 4.6
- Because there is no alcohol present, these beverages are required to be below a pH of 4.6 for microbial stability. Adjust your starting pH using phosphoric acid or lactic acid to adhere to this.
- We recommend BOTH running through a 0.45um sterile filter as well as some form of microbial stabilization.
- Through sensory, the difference between the flavor profile of microbial stabilization versus unpasteurized had muted some aroma/taste from the unpasteurized but was less harsh than other versions of microbial stabilization.
Improving Your Brew
- To increase aroma and flavor, non-sugar flavor additives can be added post-fermentation
- Recipes can also be tweaked with the addition of unmalted grains for extra body or changing the water profile to enhance hops aroma
Learn about more in-depth best practices for NAB/LAB Here!
- March 1, 2023